Thursday, June 28, 2012

Stumbling Through Summer


It’s really starting to heat up now as summer slowly sinks in. The combination of heat and humidity are a kendo killer, especially for someone who is used to Vancouver’s relatively mild seasons. Summers in Vancouver rarely get above 32 degrees, yet here at summer’s height, it can push up to nearly 40 degrees, plus a choking 60-70% humidity. I remember practices from last summer like a distant nightmare that’s recurring again now. I’m trying to increase my stamina in the summer heat by pushing myself up Tanukidani’s 250 stairs in the morning, but morning temperatures are no where near as hot as it can get in the afternoon/evening, and can’t compare to being in a small, stuffy dojo wearing a full set of bogu. Sports drinks, water and salty candies are becoming a necessary part of my bogu bag.
I was definitely slowed down at practice today. Ironically, after the first warm up, putting on my men is one of the best feelings of practice, because it’s still cool on the inside before it’s been used. That feeling doesn’t last long.
Kata, at least felt rather good today. One of the reasons I like testing season is that it gives everyone a good reason to step up kata training. I love practicing kata. I love acting out the interplay between student and teacher and the ability to take the time to think about the technique, to sync breathing and movements with ones partner is something that I think is overlooked a lot when people are practicing kata. The point of kata is to reinforce the purpose and form behind the waza we perform in kendo. I also really love how beautiful kata is, when it’s performed between two people who have a good rhythm together.
Unfortunately, my poor balance is still one of the things that trips me up in kata, as well as the tendency of my feet to stick to the dojo floor when I’m trying to glide my steps forward. There’s nothing more jarring that being completely in the moment, eyes locked on your partner’s matching his motions step for step, anticipating the counter strike and then suddenly sticking to the ground and tumbling forward. Especially when you have an audience watching you practice. I’m sure it looks hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment