Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Leveling Up

Recently, it’s seemed like every sensei in Kyoto has turned up at Fuchou. Everyone is getting ready for the next round of testing. This has meant that I’ve been able to fight with a lot of really high level people, people who don’t quite know my level yet, and so assume that I am higher than I am.
This is nice because I’m treated to a taste of some high level kendo without any stops put in. At least for a little while. Generally people ease up a bit once they realize I’m not yon-dan. Occasionally, someone new will ask before we start keiko what dan I am, and will adjust accordingly. I like it on occasion, though when someone doesn’t go easy on me. As hard as those keiko are, they make me realize how much I still need to learn, how much faster and stronger I still need to become.
Today, therefore, was an exhausting practice. By the end of it, my kiai was a haggard scream of desperation. I don’t know where I pulled the energy out to do a final full round of kirikaeshi with as much gusto as I did. Sometimes my body surprises me like that.
I was complimented twice on my timing, which does make me feel a little proud. Fighting with so many high level people so often has made me a lot more aware of catching subtle movements of my opponents and reacting quickly. I still have trouble breaking though defenses and striking anything but men is still a challenge, but I am at least getting better at debana-waza. Occasionally I can get away with a harai-waza, but usually only once per match. Once people know that I’m capable of clumsily flipping away a shinai they tighten their defenses and it becomes impossible to pull off a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment