Sunday, October 14, 2012

Kendo 101


Some friends from out of town arrived today, looking to experience some of Japan and Kyoto. Aside from all the normal tourist spots there are to go see, the only place I could really think to go was the Butokuden. It’s got a lot of history, the grounds are pretty, and we might even get to see some action.

As it turned out, there was a high school tournament at the Budo Center, so we all watched for a time. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the sight and it reminded me of the first time I watched kendo. It was also nice to be able to explain the rules of the sport, and maybe interest a few people in trying it out. It actually took some work to convince them to leave.

On the way back, Ari bought me a new shinai, as my last two are getting pretty badly beaten up. For the first time I have an oblong tsuka! It was an expensive shinai, but it feels great in my hands and it’s really light. Hopefully it feels great during practice. I’ll try it out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment