Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Crippled

My left leg was feeling much better today when I woke up. I've been tenderly stretching it and icing it and in general not over exerting it this whole week in the effort to have it healed in time to go to the open practice at Butokuden today. Ever since that first women's practice I've been wanting to practice at the Butokuden again.

There were even some people there tonight that I knew! Koyama san very nicely introduced me to the head teacher. He explained that I love kata and that I got both shodan and ni-dan in Japan. I'm sure he spoke more highly of my level that I actually am, but it was not my place to correct.

There was no structured warm up; we all had to warm up on our own, just like at Ren Shin Kai. I di a few more careful stretches of my leg and hips before we started practice. Unfortunately, a single men-uchi drill into practice and it was obvious that this was a losing battle. Pain sliced through my left leg on the first lunge. I completed the final two men-uchi drills on will power alone, and then limped back to the tatami mats to watch the rest of practice. Apparently two days of resting doesn't heal an injured groin. Who would have thought?

It was incredibly disappointing, and embarrassing, especially after Koyama san took the time to introduce me so carefully to the head teacher. We have to make the most of a bad situation, however, and I tried to find the silver lining in not being able to practice today as an opportunity to familiarize myself with the motions of Wednesday open practice, so that when I'm able to return, I'm not as confused by the motions as I might have been today.

During the ju-geiko portion of the practice, I watch Yasuda san wait in line for 30 minutes to practice with a the head teacher who gave her only a minute of kakari-geiko. It's incredible how long people will wait to practice with a teacher, though I can understand it. I find myself rushing to to get to the front of the line to fight Sugaya Sensei at Ren Shin Kai as well, on occasion.

From a watching stand point, however, it seemed like an incredible waste, to wait so long for so little. I'm sure though, it was entirely the practice she needed, as her test is coming up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment