Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friends from Home

-->
Okusa Sensei and David are in town this week and they’ve managed to secure us some practice time at Kyoto University! This is a big thing for me, as it’s difficult to get into a university practice. Unlike in Canada where the university club and the public recreational kendo practice all together, in Japan, you have to be a member of the university to be able to practice with their club. Unless you have a special invite. Okusa Sensei said that he met the head teacher of the Kyodai club, Okushima Sensei, during the world championships in Italy. This is going to be quite the experience!
I must admit though to a little pre-keiko intimidation. I’ve had it relatively easy so far doing kendo in Japan. Fuchou is exactly the kind of kendo club I was hoping to find; recreational and focused on personal growth, not so much competition. University clubs are notorious for focusing on how to win at kendo, and are, from what I hear, highly competitive. Not to mention we’re still in the middle of the oppressive summer heat. This is going to be difficult and exciting all at once!
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment