Thursday, February 26, 2015

Nana-hon-me is going to be one of those kata that keeps causing my problems. Part of the reason for this is that as soon as I figure I've got one set of motions down corrctly, one piece of the timing, or angle of the swing, someone points out another thing that I'm doing wrong. I know on an intellectual level that this is part of the process of learning, that mistakes are addressed by order of priority to slowly become better at the thing that is being studied, However, nana-hon-me is a complicated kata, both for its footwork, the timing of the strikes, the harmony with the opponent and the somewhat difficult motions of the body as a whole. When I'm corrected on a new thing, my focus naturally goes into correcting that portion of the kata. Unfortunately, this draws focus away from the previously memorized portions, which allows for mistakes, or worse yet, the formation of bad habits. This naturally prompts further corrections which can start to clog and confuse the mind. Language barriers don't help this. Fortunately kata can be demonstrated more easily than regular kendo, I feel, and with the good and patient teachers that I have, I feel myself improving, step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment