Monday, January 7, 2013

明けましておめでとうございます!

Fuchou's first practice of 2013 was today, and I was squirming in mt seat for not having my bogu with me! Everyone was so energetic and excited to be at practice and the energy was just infectious. Greetings of "Happy New Year" and "Let's practice together this year" were abound! And while everyone seemed a little stiff today after the long break, the happiness and enjoyment of the first practice of the year was evident.

Though I think no one was as happy to be back as Itou Sensei. He was all smiles and laughs today, joking with us all and in general making the practice very jolly and light. Fortunately it wasn't so hard to explain today why I didn't have my bogu. Everyone was really sympathetic and fortunately, since work starts again on Friday, I'll be able to go to Friday practice!

I showed Ino-san my translation homework that I am so proud of. He'd forgotten at first that he gave it to me! But he reviewed it anyway, and declared it great. He helped me with a few of the words I didn't understand and then assigned me the next chunk of translation, which details how etiquette advances normal humans into god-like humans. The language and grammar are difficult, but I appreciate the practice, and the material is interesting too, so I'll do my best. I'm going to need to have my Japanese teacher review my translations though, because I'm sure they are rife with errors as they are now.

The practice was pretty standard for Fuchou. Once again, the focus was on seme and a snapping strike that ends with a nice pop on the intended target. Watching the suburi practice made me want to write an article on the mechanics of a proper swing, but I want to include photos, and people here are understandably very shy about having their pictures taken for the site. I know I would be too! Watching from behind though, you can really see where the nice suburi comes from. Those whose shoulders remain level and never rise have some of the nicest hits.

Mawari-geiko was longer today than usual, though it was nice to have a chance to see some of my favorite practitioners fighting one another.Having two high energy practitioners fighting makes for a very exciting match to watch!

At the end of practice (frustratingly!) Itou Sensei did the speed ai-men drill again! I should ask him to please do that drill one day when I'm actually in practice. It looks like so much fun! I caught a video of it this time for you all. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment