Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Pain and the Rewards

Wow! Two things really.

First of all, I can't believe how much my legs hurt after that thirty minute nanahon-me kata practice! I've seriously been hobbling up and down the stairs the past two days! Also, the bruise on my knee cap has turned a lovely shade of purple/pink. Is it a coincidence that my favorite colors always manage to turn up on my bruises?

Secondly, even though it hurts like a hundred forks in my leg, I've been reviewing nanahon-me by myself whenever I can find a space big enough to swivel around in, and void enough of people so that no one gives the crazy woman flailing her arms around at an imaginary enemy strange looks. The first day I spent reviewing roppon-me and nanahon-me just in my head, going over the footwork and the timing that I learned on Monday. The second day, I shadow kata'ed with myself and wow! Amazingly, not only was I able to (painfully) get myself down into the after dou crouch in nanahon-me but I was able to pivot (painfully) without falling on my backside!

This is really uplifting for me right now. It's just what I needed after the last two weeks of a very slow start back into kendo. I really can't stress enough the power of visualizing your goals. Your mind can train your body just as effectively as pumping your muscles. Likewise, it seems that my decision to just go, despite not feeling into it, and not effectively 100% able to breathe yet was a good one. There's no cure for lethargy but to move. I still need to make sure that the bronchitis doesn't relapse, but I can get through most of a practice without suffering, so I'll push as far as I can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment