Tuesday, March 3, 2015

On Monday I was still feeling the effects from the weekend's flash cold, although I'm feeling much better, surprisingly quickly (I'm chalking this up to the lifestyle changes that have made me, overall, feel much more genki. Knowing, however, that my lungs are sensitive to bronchitis, and feeling the dizziness that comes from clogged sinuses and imbalanced ear fluid, I went to practice to watch, yesterday. It was a good experience. Since Koyama sensei and Nakanao sensei offered to show me some proper suburi techniques, it would have been a waste not to go to practice when I can still swing a shinai.

Itou sensei also gave me some good hints. It boiled down to a few things: Nakanao sensei suggested that I'm unfolding my arms too slowly, joint by joint. and that I should let the shinai swing down by it's own weight, only adding a final snap by the wrists at the end. This will produce a good patt sound as well as increase the speed of my swing.

 He also helped my with my kamae. He said that the center is key, and that even if the kensen is slightly off center, we can remain in the center if the left fist is remains steady they. Push forward with the left first in the center, and the strike will also be in the center. This left first forward motion will prevent the Right hand from pressing too far left to get center which will open the kote op for a strike. Protect the right wrist with a slightly off center tilt of the kensen, but remain in control of the center line with the strength of the left fist.

Koyama sensei also reminded me that movement should start with the right knee. It should carry forward. The left foot should push against the ground to propel you forward while the right knee should lead. This has always been a difficulty for me though.

These are the basics that I must practice to pass san-dan. With extra instruction at the beginning of keiko, I hope I'll be able to memorize them in time for the July exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment